Nurse practitioners are experienced nurses with specialist training and extended skills that enable them to see and treat patients presenting with a wide range of conditions. Many nurse practitioners specialise in primary care, where they have comprehensive knowledge about conditions that can be treated at the GP surgery, and those that need to be referred on to the hospital. They can see you for most health care problems, and in addition, often have in-depth knowledge of long term conditions like diabetes and asthma.
- examine you and make a diagnosis
- start and review treatment, including prescribing medication as appropriate
- order tests and investigations
- give advice on health issues and screening
- refer you on to a doctor or a specialist as appropriate
- refer you on to a practice nurse for further support, treatment and care